France is in Europe. The official language of France is French but there are also regional languages spoken such as Breton and Alsacian (a German dialect). France has borders with Andorra, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Spain, and Switzerland so some of the languages spoken in France are also spoken in some of these countries.
School in France
Children must attend primary school from the age of six but most children start earlier. They usually go nursery classes (maternelle) from the age of 3. They go to primary school (ecole primaire) from the age of 6 to11. Then they go to junior high school (collège) until they are 15. After that they have to go another high school (lycée) until they are 18. After they do the baccalauréat and some go on to university.
Most children in France do not wear a school uniform.
Learn some French
There is a lot of delicious food in France. Click on the picture to learn about it:
Click on the photograph to see some our French photo album.
Interesting things about France
- French people kiss each other on the cheek to greet each other. They kiss from 1-5 times depending on what area they are from.
- French used to be the language of the nobility all across Europe even in Russia.
- The hot air balloon, the airship, the parachute, photography, animation and cinema are all French inventions.
- France has hosted the Summer Olympics five times and the Winter Olympics twice.
- Louis Pasteur was a famous French scientist. He also discovered how milk could be pasteurised so that it would be safe to drink. He also created the first vaccination against rabies.
- During WWII the Mosque of Paris helped Jews escape Paris from the Nazis.
- Beauty pageants for children are banned in France.
- France was the first country to introduce the license plate.
- For over 300 years French was the official language of England.
French is the official language of 30 countries and is spoken by 270 million people worldwide.
- The currency of France is the Euro.