The United Arab Emirates (The UAE)
The United Arab Emirates is also called the UAE. It is an unusual country. There are seven emirates and each of the seven emirates has its own ruler. The UAE was formed in 1971. The emirates are Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah and Umm al-Quwain. The UAE is located on the Arabian Peninsula. It has a border with Oman and Saudi Arabia.
The population of the UAE is around 9 million. However, only about a sixth of the population are actually Emiratis. The rest are foreigners from lots of different countries. Many people in the UAE speak English, especially those living in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
School in the UAE
Long ago boys attended the school at the mosque called Al Katateeb where they learned verses from the Qur'an by heart. The students and the Al Mutawaa (the teacher) sat on the floor. Gradually other subjects were introduced. These included reading, writing and maths. The first school for girls opened in 1959.
Learn some Arabic
Arabic Writing & Art
Click on the picture to learn more about Arabic writing and art.
There is lots of nice food in the UAE. Click on the picture to learn about it.
There are lots of interesting things to see in the UAE: beaches, mountains, dunes and oases.
Festivals & Traditions
Many men and women in the UAE wear traditional clothes. Click on the photograph to learn about traditional clothes.
There are lots of animals to be found in the wild. Click on the picture to learn about them.
To learn more about the individual emirates click on the pictures below:
Interesting facts about the UAE
- The United Arab Emirates is actually made up of 7 individual states.
- Most of the UAE is a desert. Very little land is suitable for agriculture.
- Islam is the official religion of the UAE.
- Arabic is the official language of the UAE.
- Only about a tenth of the population is Emirati. Most of the people living in the UAE are foreign nationals. However, if after 20 years they would like to apply for citizenship they can apply if they speak Arabic fluently.
- The Formula One Grand Prix race is held on Yaz Island, Abu Dhabi, each year.
- Ski Dubai is the first indoor ski slope in the Middle East.
- The currency of the UAE is the Dirham.